Case study: ARTDECO
Achieving high Google rankings with quality translation and internationally suitable keywords
The cosmetics producer ARTDECO is a German retail market leader and has already established itself in the world of online trading. As the company planned its international website roll-out, ARTDECO relied on Kolibri Online for SEO translations and keyword research to enhance its visibility on Google and other search engines in international target markets and to respond to the search behaviour of target groups worldwide.
The company: ARTDECO
The challenge: Translations with SEO requirements
As the company turned its attention to the international roll-out of its German website, ARTDECO sought a translation agency capable of covering a wide range of languages and offering considerable expertise in the field of search engine optimisation (SEO). ARTDECO’s entire German website had been extensively revised and optimised with regard to keywords, topics and text content for Google and other search engines – applying these considerations to international copy was of paramount importance so that past work was not lost. The highly competitive environment of online cosmetics retail calls for a professional SEO strategy to ensure that a website ranks in the top positions on Google and other search engines – both nationally and internationally.
A further challenge lay in the fact that the initial translations were to be produced before the German site was officially relaunched, which meant that the source texts would not be accessible online.
Challenges in a nutshell
- Providing high-quality translations with language perfectly tailored to the target audience
- Ensuring that SEO review of source texts is retained in translation
- Starting translation process before German site had been relaunched
- Carrying out proofreading and reviews directly in CMS
- Providing translations of product texts continually on a day-to-day basis
The customer’s experience of working with Kolibri Online:
“We appreciate the highly professional and exceedingly well-structured collaboration with Kolibri Online. On a project as large as relaunching the ARTDECO website in six languages and across nine different countries, it was important that we had an agency by our side capable of providing high-quality, SEO translations for each language from a single source. With their years of expertise, Kolibri helped us to make the right SEO-specific decisions for our respective local markets.”
ARTDECO cosmetic GmbH
The solution: High-quality SEO translations for the cosmetics industry
Test translation and set-up phase
The translators then produced a test translation which was followed by an intensive feedback round discussing content, style and SEO with SEO. Thanks to our expertise in the field of SEO, we were able to provide useful pointers at this early stage and illustrate why additional international keyword research for each language would be beneficial and ultimately necessary.
We then integrated the results of the feedback into our briefings and passed this information on to the translation team. This ensured that these insights were applied in future translations.
Creating a glossary
International keyword research
Our native-language translators conducted tool-based keyword research for each language and incorporated the results in their translations for ARTDECO. In the case of the English translations, for example, this research yielded a series of key insights.
- When translated literally, the German keyword “Business Make-up” (written “business makeup” in US English) has a monthly search volume of 270. However, the term “office makeup” is searched around 340 times per month, which makes it a more suitable keyword in English translations.
- One key search term was “Tages Make-up”. Our team decided to translate this as “simple makeup” (search volume: 4,100) instead of “everyday makeup” (search volume: 1,700) due to its higher search volume, but also because it fits the search intent more closely.
- “Urlaubs Make-up” was translated as “travel makeup” (search volume: 1,000) rather than directly as “holiday makeup” (search volume: 1,100) as the latter English term relates to festive makeup in the USA – and because another alternative, “vacation makeup” (search volume: 70) is a rarely searched term.
These are just a few examples to illustrate how international keyword research can define search terms that address search intents more effectively and have higher search volumes. Our team was then able to integrate these terms into the translations.
High-quality SEO translations and streamlined workflows
Kolibri Online always uses databases in translation projects and selects suitable tools based on each client’s wishes and requirements. In our work for ARTDECO, we worked with the online version of the CAT (computer-assisted translation) tool memoQ. This ensured that files were handled smoothly and guaranteed consistent and up-to-date use of terminology. The fact that the tool is web-based means that its translation memories always contain the latest entries.
As the optimised German pages were still not online at the start of the translation project, our translators were given access to the new texts in a staging environment. This allowed them to get a better feel for the texts and see the accompanying images. This context is a key precondition of successful translation.
Once the site was relaunched, we reviewed all buttons, headlines and short teasers in the CMS backend – a tried-and-tested process at Kolibri Online that helps to streamline workflows for our clients.